Last Tuesday I ventured up to the Haley VA Hospital in North Tampa. A Centcom-wide email invited anyone to stop by for the monthly dinner for wounded vets and their families. I did my bit baking two trays of brownies (really) and looked forward to a nice little get-together.Boy was I wrong. I had no idea that I had ventured into the well-oiled machine of Operation HELPING HAND of the Military Officers' Association of America's Tampa chapter. The gracious blue-polo-shirted hosts directed all of us to sit and be served. I enjoyed an evening getting to know a few folks and witnessing the greatest sacrifices made by some of the families and wounded of the war. Spirits were high as Helping Handers presented each family with envelopes of gift cards and other valuable items for their stays in Tampa. Please check the program out by clicking here. It's special. (They always accept contributions if you feel so led). You can see pictures of the families and guests. Some of my mom's friends were moved by this event just by word of mouth and are beginning to send me baked goods to freeze for the next dinner (no, I won't eat the goodies).
Outback Steakhouse catered the dinner with everyone receiving a tenderloin, chicken fillet, salad, and drink. I thanked the chairman afterward for their great work as well as Outback's contribution. He told me Outback served soldiers in Iraq on a regular basis. So please patronize Outback next time you feel the craving. BUT... make sure to ask to speak to the management and thank them for Outback's support of the troops. Take a look at Outback's contributions here. HF1

No comments:
Post a Comment